My initial impression is that it's very well laid out and love the access to cloud recipes along with a nice set of tools and calculators for brewday. For now it appears not to be optimized for the new iPhone 5 display but hopefully that will come in a future update.
There's also a nice timer feature that counts down through the brewing steps and I'll post more about this feature after my next brew session.
Look for our complete review of this app after the full version is released in a few months; we are very excited for the inclusion of editing capability!
Features as listed from BeerSmith.com
- Find New Recipes – Search our online database of over 3,000 beer recipes directly from your phone or tablet. If you find one you like you can save it locally to your phone or to your cloud account for easy desktop integration.
- View your Desktop Recipes On The Go – You can easily view your recipes on the go using the BeerSmith cloud folder and BeerSmithRecipes.com. Copy a recipe to your cloud folder on BeerSmith desktop and you can open it from your phone or tablet. (Note: BeeerSmith Lite does not include recipe editing).
- Time Your Brew Day – A full brewday timer for your phone or tablet provides both steep/mash and boil timers with step-by-step brewday instructions. In addition, all of the critical estimated data (IBUs, OG, Volumes, fermentation, aging) is displayed on the timer page for easy reference while brewing.
- Easy Calculators – Seven standalone brewing calculators including: Hydrometer temperature adjustment, Infusion Step Tool, Alcohol and Attenuation Tool, Mash Adjust Tool, Weight to Volume Tool, Refractometer Tool and a Carbonation Calculator
- Mobile Brewing Reference - The mobile version also includes a full style guide and ingredient reference including hops, grains, extracts, yeast, misc and brewing water profiles
- Unit Converters – Convert between weight, temperature, pressure, and specific gravity units
- Android Phone, iPhone, iPad, and Android Tablet – BeerSmith Lite runs on all of the platforms and is available on Google Play, the Apple App Store and Amazon App Store
- Also watch for the “full” version coming soon! – In a few months we plan to have a “full” BeerSmith app which will allow recipe editing and creation (the lite version does NOT allow recipe editing).